Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Supplication...

Supplication… Webster says it is an earnest request….

I don’t use the word in conversation, don’t hear anyone else use it really. It is one of those Bible words, a word connected to prayer, directed toward God.

As I complete my reflecting on Psalm 119 this morning, I am challenged about my prayer life…. “Let my supplication come before Thee…” (verse 170) “…Give my request your personal attention.” (v. 170 from The Message)

I regularly present my prayer list to God, and I often find myself giving Him suggestions about how He should fill my needs….or to be truthful, my wants. Selfish, short-sighted, self-centered wants…

While it is certainly true that God is interested in my every need and desire, He sees far beyond my moment, and knows far better than I how to answer and how to fulfill my requests. He has an uncanny way of bringing about what I ask for, but in ways I don’t expect and never see coming.



In this last section of the psalm, I am reminded… He is God. I am not.


“….give me wisdom according to Your Word” (v. 169)
“….deliver me according to Your Word.” (v. 170)
“….You have taught me Your Precepts.” (v. 171)
“….all Your Commandments are righteousness.” (v. 172)
“….I have chosen Your Precepts.” (v. 173)
“….Your Law is my delight.” (v. 174)
“….let Your judgments help me.” (v. 175)

This book we call The Bible is very unique. It is only paper and ink, maybe a leather cover…but the message it communicates is incredible. The more I read and study it, the more I realize how bottomless it’s teaching is. His Word, what He has said….is. Period. The epitome of ‘it is what it is…’. God’s Word IS. It is the source of wisdom, deliverance, right-ness…

And I for one need all that. Desperately.


“I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek Your servant; for I do not forget Your Commandments.” (v. 176)

How thankful I am that He does come looking for me, calling me back close to Him. If you hear Him, whether it is a shout or a whisper…listen for Him. And go to Him. Run to Him.

He is so good.