Friday, September 2, 2011

Insomnia....

Insomnia… Webster says it is a “prolonged and usually abnormal inability to obtain adequate sleep”. Seems like my inability to obtain adequate sleep has become pretty normal….

I remember being chastised for sleeping too much. Still asleep at noon on Saturday, my folks complained loudly, ‘You are sleeping your life away!’

I can’t sleep til midnight sometimes now, much less noon !

So I get up and continue to reflect on the next section of Psalm 119 and look what I find….


“Lord, I call out to You with all my heart. Answer me, and I will obey Your orders.
I call out to You. Save me, and I will keep Your covenant laws.

I get up before the sun rises. I cry out for help. I've put my hope in Your Word.

My eyes stay open all night long. I spend my time thinking about Your promises.

Listen to me, because You love me. Lord, keep me alive as You have promised.
Those who think up evil plans are near. They have wandered far away from Your law.

But Lord, You are near. All Your commands are true.

Long ago I learned from Your covenant laws that You made them to last forever.”
(Psalm 119:145-152)


It brings a smile to my heart that He is so sweet in His perfect timing. He speaks. On time. Every time.

On sleepless nights, my brain bounces back and forth with all the concerns of my life. I discuss it with Him, complain to Him, whine to Him…

And every single time, if I will just go to His Word…..every single time, if I will just shush my spirit and listen….

He speaks.

He is near. All His words are true and eternal.

I must just keep my hope in that Word and focus on His promises….they do indeed last forever.


Now…..let’s get some sleep !!!