Friday, November 5, 2010

Whispers...

Whisper… I’m thankful I can still hear a whisper.

This morning, I heard a whispered ‘bye’ from my husband as he left for work. I roused from deep sleep to hear it, and I wonder now how many whispered goodbyes I’ve not heard from him as he quietly leaves me snuggled down to sleep until my own alarm rings.

A few days ago, an old classmate friend voiced a thankfulness for the whispers of his grand-daughter, and a thankfulness that God empowers him to understand this special child. I pray he understands every one of her whispers.

I wonder how many whispers I don’t hear. I wonder how many I ignore, brush aside… how many are whispered amidst the stormy situations of my day only to be missed because I am listening only to the rage of the storm.

I am thankful that God speaks in powerful ways, in miraculous ways. But oh how I love hearing His whispers! How precious it is to hear that still small voice speak to my spirit, calming my fears, reassuring and rescuing me.

“…then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire came…..a gentle whisper. When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood….then a voice said to him…….” (1 Kings 19:11ff)

Thank you Father for the whispers.