Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Thankful...

Thankful.. Webster says it’s an adjective. That means it describes. I found a list of words that have similar meaning in our language…

Grateful, gratified, satisfied, contented, pleased, appreciative… You get the idea.

“Enter into His gates with thanksgiving and into His courts with praise. Be thankful unto Him, and bless His Name.” (Psa. 100:4)

The Hebrew word ‘yadah’ is translated thankful in that verse. The use of that word showed an action or motion in their language, as well as an acknowledgment.

I was convicted this morning about my decision to be ‘thankful’. That still small voice asked, “Are you really, Connie?”

You see, I was thinking about the word ‘wrath’ because of some questions in a Bible lesson.

I thought I’d write that I was thankful for God’s wrath, because His wrath is birthed out of His complete holiness and His perfect love for me. He loves. He disciplines. And I want to appreciate the value of that discipline.

But do I really? Or do I just know I should, and wish I did in fact appreciate the discipline? Am I really thankful for it?

Are you?

I challenge you to examine your heart as well. We do not want to be in a downward spiral…like the Romans that Paul wrote to…

“…The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth…..although they knew God, they neither glorified Him as God, nor gave thanks to Him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened…” (Rom.1:18,21)

I don’t want to just acknowledge God. I want to treat Him like Who He IS.

I don’t want to simply recognize the reasons I should be thankful. I want there to be an action on my part, a motion, an exhibition in my life somehow, somewhere…that I know from Whom all blessings flow,

Praise God from Whom all blessings flow,
Praise Him, all creatures here below,
Praise Him above, ye heavenly hosts,
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.
Praise God, The Father, Who’s the Source,
Praise God, The Son, Who is the course,
Praise God, The Spirit, Who’s the flow,
Praise God, our Portion, here below.

Amen.