Friday, September 24, 2010

Hocus-pocus...

Hocus-pocus… Nonsense words or phrases used as a formula


Ever been abandoned? Abandon means to thrust off. Leave alone. To be unused.

I never thought about God abandoning anyone. But…. “You have abandoned Your people, the house of Jacob…” (Isa. 2:6)

I think of abandonment as an unjust thing. But is it ? Is there a time to just back off, leave someone alone to do as they choose, or even do as they insist….even in rebellion?

“God, You have walked out on Your family Jacob because their world is full of hokey religion, Philistine witchcraft, and pagan hocus-pocus.” (Isa. 2:6 The Message)

Again this morning I am convicted. God allows me choice. Even when I choose hokey religion and hocus-pocus.

“The arrogance of man will be brought low and the pride of men humbled. The Lord alone will be exalted in that day….” (Isa. 2:17)

So I ask myself this morning….where is the hocus-pocus in my life?

Is my religion hokey? Do I use phrases and formulas?

“Search me, O God, and know my heart. Test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.” (Ps. 139:24)