Monday, January 9, 2012

Usually...



We humans tend to have patterns of behavior. Habits are made easily, both good habits and bad habits.

We have lots of encouragement from our enemy to make the bad ones.

Making good habits is encouraged by the God Who loves us, but He doesn’t force us.

It has always been our choice, and the operating procedure of the enemy hasn’t changed. He tempts, lies, deceives, and encourages poor choices.



What do other people expect of you? What is your ‘usually’?

Last week I didn’t have my iPod playing the music I like. People asked about it. They said "it is ‘usually’ playing".

I wasn’t at church last week, this week people asked why. “You’re usually here…” they said.

My husband asked if I was taking a nap after we had lunch Sunday, “You usually do.” he said.

Yes, I exhibit many definite patterns of behavior. Certainly not all good. (…I’ll not reflect on those here…)

In studying the events of Paul’s travel, I was struck with his ‘usual’.

“….as he usually did…”(Acts 17:2 The Message)

“…Paul went into the synagogue, and on three Sabbath days he reasoned with them from the Scriptures, explaining and proving that the Christ had to suffer and rise from the dead.”(Acts 17:2-3 NIV)

Paul’s main objective was to inform every person he could influence about Who Jesus is, that Jesus was not dead but alive, and what that meant to them personally. He always had an audience at the local church house. He might not be welcomed for long, they might reject his message and throw him out, or throw him in jail, but he went.

And he told them truth.

That’s what he usually did.

What do I usually do? Do I look for opportunities to talk about who Jesus is?

Or is my ‘usually’ something far different?

Lord, help me to never miss an opportunity to relate to someone else the awesome truth of Who You are and what You have made possible for us.