Friday, January 13, 2012

Flattery...



Webster says “commendation bestowed for the purpose of gaining favor and influence, or to accomplish some purpose.”

Flattery is used a lot for self-interest. People flatter others to push forward their own agenda, gain favor, be benefited.

Flattering words are always easy to hear. The flattering words might have shreds of truth in them, but there are phony. They are self-serving….far different than a simple compliment. And it covers up a person’s real intentions.

I’d never thought this much about flattery, never considered it’s root, nor its purpose. I’ve experienced flattery, and have recognized it as being manipulative. It is difficult for me to take a simple compliment, so flattery has always been quite distasteful. While I don’t enjoy a harsh delivery of truth, neither do I enjoy or want to be buttered up.


“We are not trying to please men but God, who tests our hearts. You know we never used flattery, nor did we put on a mask to cover up greed—God is our witness. We were not looking for praise from men, not from you or anyone else..”(1 Thes. 2:4-6)


In writing to his spiritual family in Thessalonica, Paul assured them he had no ulterior motive in his ministry to them. It was always about God and his love in providing salvation.

He didn’t do anything to make it easier to hear.
He didn’t hold out the need for repentance and a change of heart, change of attitude, and changes of behavior.

And, he didn’t flatter them by needing their praise. Ouch.

Do you feel that?

When someone else is so important to me that I need their approval regardless of whether it lines up with God’s will….I flatter them.

And I insult God.

Paul didn’t go there. I wonder how often I do.

How about you? Do you use words of praise to bring some benefit to yourself? Do you need someone to think highly of you so much that you make compromises? Like me, have you been guilty of attempting to make the truth easier to hear? More easily acceptable?