Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Thankfullness #7.....



I am thankful for children.

I love babies. They are so very small and helpless. A tiny little human being is such a wonder !

I love toddlers. They are so curious, constantly learning, absorbing new information all the time.

I love adolescents. They are so awkward, ready to explore the world while still loving to be coddled.

I love teenagers. They are so sure of themselves, so confident in their own wisdom and ability.

I love adult children best…..

One day they see how tiny they still are in the grand scheme of things.
They see how small a human being is, yet how incredibly important.
They begin to see how much they don’t know….. and admit it.
They begin to embrace the wisdom of other rather than claiming they don’t need it.
They embrace the awkwardness of living in this world where we have no control except of personal choice.


They begin to see the older generation thru different eyes, seeing beyond surface and circumstance. They begin to see the frailty and weakness that was there all along and appreciating the battle we refused to stop fighting.


I loved my sons when they were in the womb, never having seen them or known them.
I loved the infants that nuzzled at my breast.
I loved the toddlers who hid under the bed and spilled their milk.
I loved the adolescents,so happy yet utterly miserable, fighting to mature yet stay babies.
I loved the teenagers who were so sure they were smarter than me.


I love the adult sons who now see my efforts instead of my mistakes.
I love the adult sons who are willing to share themselves freely with their parents.
I love the adult sons recognize the passing of time, and understand that it is limited.
I love the adult sons whose desire is to fill our needs as fully as their needs were filled.
I love the adult sons who ask what I think, and genuinely value my input.



“Sons are a heritage from the LORD, children a reward from him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their enemies in the gate.”(Psa. 127:3)


I am thankful for the two sons we are blessed with. I am thankful to know they will always be there for us as we grow older and older. My heart rests in knowing they will care for us when we can not.


I am thankful that our two sons acknowledge our Creator God, and thankful that He will guide them into all truth, one step at a time….. Just as He did with their father and I. He will make them into mighty men of God as they walk in His truth.


“I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth.”(3John 1:4)


“Listen to your father, who gave you life, and do not despise your mother when she is old. Buy the truth and do not sell it; get wisdom, discipline and understanding.
The father of a righteous man has great joy; he who has a wise son delights in him.
May your father and mother be glad; may she who gave you birth rejoice!
My son, give me your heart and let your eyes keep to my ways,..”(Pro. 23:22-26)




Lord, help me listen as an adult child to my own words. Help me to continue to make my father and mother glad, may I be a blessing to them, a reward from You, an arrow in their hand, contending with any enemy, may I bring them joy as I walk in Your truth, may I never despise but always delight in them and value their wisdom.