Thursday, January 13, 2011

Alarm...

Alarm.. We woke up one night in the wee hours to our smoke detector going off. When that sounds, take heed...your house may be on fire.

Relax...we didn't have a fire, just need new batteries. But we got up and checked the house.

I wonder what alarms I do ignore? And what do I suffer that might be avoided if I'd just heed the warning?

In scripture, Jesus has issued a 'take heed...' many times.

Luke 17:3 issues a 'take heed' about forgiveness. "Take heed to yourselves. If your brother trespasses against you, rebuke him. And if he repents, forgive him."

I am to recognize sin and confront it, but in Mark 4:24 He addresses how I measure..."Take heed...... With that measure which you measure, it shall be measured to you..."

He also reminds me of His advice about the mote in my brother's eye and the beam in mine. ("...why do you look on the splinter that is in your brother's eye, but do not consider the beam that is in your own eye?" Matt.7:3)

I could list dozens....dozen of 'take heed's and warnings. Alarms to be recognized.

Yet, even if we could hear all the alarms, even if we respond to every threat, we can never defeat sin and death.

We can not fix the problem of humanity. But we can live without feeling alarm.

"The peace of God which transcends all understanding will guard my heart and mind in Christ Jesus."(Phil.4:7) Yes, I take that personally. My heart and mind feels no alarm.



I'm hearing the old hymn 'Living By Faith' in my head....
♫♪♪♫•*•♫♪...♪♫•*•♫♪♪♫I'm living by faith, feel no alarm...♪♫•*•♫♪♪♫•*•♫♪.♪♫•*•