Thursday, January 13, 2011

Respond...

Respond… When in a difficult situation, facing conflict or uncertainty, maybe even a threat…how do you respond? Or do you?…

Often I think we don’t. Instead of responding, we react. And there’s a big difference.

To react, according to Webster, is to resist the action of another body by an opposite force. To respond, is to answer; to reply.

I believe it is much easier to react than to respond. I also believe as followers of Christ, we are called not to react, but to respond.

Our mission is to imitate Jesus. We are to have taken off the “ old self with its practices
and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator. “(Col.3:10) That old WWJD has a lot of profound truth.

Let us purpose in our minds and hearts to respond in every thing …purposefully, for HIS purpose, led by the Holy Spirit, depending on Him to defend and protect us, trusting Him to supply all our needs and even bless us far beyond our needs. “God can do anything, you know--far more than you could ever imagine or guess or request in your wildest dreams! He does it not by pushing us around but by working within us, his Spirit deeply and gently within us.”(Eph. 3:20 The Message)

We must remember, He does not work things out like we do. In my experience, it never ‘looks’ like He is answering or sometimes even paying attention!! And almost never within my time frame!! My task is simply to live in this moment, making RIGHT choices, behave as HIS child…in my now. And trust Him to work everything out. I believe that it will always be for my good.

“The moment we get tired in the waiting, God's Spirit is right alongside helping us along. …. He knows us far better than we know ourselves…That's why we can be so sure that every detail in our lives of love for God is worked into something good.

God knew what he was doing from the very beginning. He decided from the outset to shape the lives of those who love Him along the same lines as the life of his Son. The Son stands first in the line of humanity he restored. We see the original and intended shape of our lives there in Him. (Romans 8:26-29 The Message )


“But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way…(every word, deed, and response,) Christ is preached.(imitated WWJD) And because of this I rejoice. Yes, and I will continue to rejoice, for I know that through your prayers and the help given by the Spirit of Jesus Christ, what has happened to me (every difficult situation and hard response) will turn out for my deliverance.” (Phil. 1:18-19 The Message with personal application by me)