Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Occupy....

Occupy.... Webster says it means to hold.  To use. To take possession.






In Genesis 13, God pointed in all directions and told Abraham that everything he saw would be his.

"The LORD said to Abram, after Lot had separated from him, "Now lift up your eyes and look from the place where you are, northward and southward and eastward and westward;  for all the land which you see, I will give it to you and to your descendants forever."
(Genesis 13:14-15) 
How could all that land be Abrams?  There were people living there. On top of that, Lot had gone in one of those directions, with all his belongings, and claimed part of that same land.


Lot had originally tagged along with Abram.  Abram had followed in obedience when God directed him to leave his homeland and go  "...to a place I will show you." (Genesis 12:1)

Lot followed Abram. (...and Lot benefited from following an uncle who followed God.)

Now,  Lot has the best pastures, and Abram has the promise of God. 

And Abram had instructions....  "Go, walk through the length and breadth of the land, for I am giving it to you." (Gen. 12:17)

 


As I studied that passage, I thought about Jesus parable about the ten servants who were given ten pounds.  They were told to "...Occupy till I come."  (Luke 19:13 KJV)

Each of the ten servants were provided with equal resource to 'occupy til I come'.

Abram was given resources. 
Abram was given promises.
And Abram was instructed to walk out and into that promise. 
He was told to occupy what was given to him.

Today, I am given resources. I have the Holy Spirit of God, and His Sword of the Spirit, recorded in scripture.

I am given salvation.  Free for the taking.


I just have to believe it is mine, and walk in it. 

I purpose today to walk in the promised land of my salvation.