Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Gimme.....

Gimme…

Yep. It’s a word. I Googled it.

It is a golf term, but unless you are a golfer, you define it as demanding material things. At least I do….

We live in a gimme world. Enough is never enough it seems. Christmas magnifies it.

 

Think about the ‘gimme’ mentality of the young man we call ‘the prodigal son’. Jesus tells the story in Luke 15.

"There was once a man who had two sons. The younger said to his father, 'Father, I want right now what's coming to me.' "So the father divided the property between them. It wasn't long before the younger son packed his bags and left for a distant country. (Luke 15:11-13)


An insult really. Inheritances are to be had AFTER the death of someone, and this young man can’t wait for his father to die. Gimme.
What is even more incredible is that the father did give. It causes me to wonder what I would have done. My mind plays out several scenarios, the first of them being an insulted hissy fit. (…if you know what ‘gimme’ means, you’ll know what a ‘hissy fit’ is….)


This father trusted God to deal with his son. In the face of rebellion and disrespect, he allowed the son to have his way. Really…what good would it have done to have refused? The desire was there in the son’s heart.

And only God can change a heart.