Friday, July 29, 2011

Disappointed....

Disappointed… You can’t be disappointed if you don’t have expectations.

I don’t know how you do that. How do you NOT have some sort of expectation?

I find that while trying to keep an opened mind, while not setting unrealistic expectations…I just end up having LOW expectations.

I suppose it’s better to be pleasantly surprised by having low expectations blown away…than it is to be sadly disappointed when high expectations are unmet.

I realize that I recently set some very low expectations.

I expected what I have experienced in the past. I expected that ‘same ole’ same ole’…..
What a pleasant surprise to have those expectations unmet !
What a joy to find that some ‘same ole’ things’ are not.

The apostle Paul had the dilemma as well. “I do admit that I have fears that when I come you'll disappoint me and I'll disappoint you, and in frustration with each other everything will fall to pieces-…(2Cor. 12:20 The Message)

I had a face-to-face meeting with a friend I‘d never met. I do admit that I had fears that when I came, I would disappoint him, and he would disappoint me…and that the friendship would fall to pieces….

I was tempted to opt out of the meeting.

I am so thankful that I did not.
I am so thankful that God’s people are one, regardless of the sign-out-front.
I am so thankful that my un-met friend now has skin on.

I am even thankful that God has shown me my sin in acting out of my own experience and passing judgment on others based solely on those experiences.