Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Shelter....

Shelter…. The weather experts say today is a day to have a planned place to take shelter in what is supposedly a huge threat of tornadic activity.

I have a couple closets that come to mind. I’ve actually been in one of them before, when our youngest son was home.

I herded everyone into the bathroom of the salon once during a tornado warning. The kids thought it was fun. The mothers …not so much.

My husband has experienced a tornado….actually saw the roof leave the house. Me..? I’ve just seen pictures and heard stories.

I know in my head that preparing shelter is a good idea, and I have the knowledge about where the best suited places of the house or some public place might be. When the threat becomes real, I act on that knowledge and preparation.

All of it makes me think again about the Garden scene. God said don’t choose that fruit of knowledge…the knowledge of good AND evil.

Adam and Eve already knew good. They had daily fellowship with God. Up close and personal. But choosing to know evil, well…that messed the whole perfect scene up.

I don’t have the knowledge of tornados. But I believe they exist. I believe they can be dangerous. So…I choose to act on the information I have. I don’t need to wait for the experience of it. I take steps to be protected, and know that I am eternally secure even if one of them blows my life away.

So it is with sin.

When God says ‘….ah, Child of mine, don’t do that’….I accept that He says it for a reason. I don’t need the knowledge/experience of it. I take steps of obedience, steps that go away from it, never toward it.

And I know His promised protection from it and from it’s consequences.

“Who shall separate me from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword….or flood or tornado?

No, in all these things I am more than conqueror through him who loved me. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate me from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus my Lord.
(Rom. 38:35-39 personalized by me)

I am eternally secure even if a tornado blows my life away.