Sunday, April 17, 2011

Friend...

Friend… A companion. An associate. Someone you keep company with, have affection for. Simply someone we are not hostile to?

Have you counted them? Do you categorize them? Rate them?

Friends for different activities? Friends for fun, friends for sadness, friends when you need help?

What kind of friend are you?

Our ‘Friend Day’ recently at our congregation challenged me on this issue…the message delivered during the morning service, the whole concept of ‘friendship‘.

Jesus called the disciples His friends. “I'm no longer calling you servants because servants don't understand what their master is thinking and planning. No, I've named you friends because I've let you in on everything I've heard from the Father…”(John 15:15 The Message)



“I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit—fruit that will last.”(John 15:16)

I am one of Jesus’ friends.

He has shared everything He knows from The Father with me. “I/we have the mind of Christ.” (1Cor.2:16)

What kind of friend will I be to Him? Will I bear fruit that will last?

And what kind of friend will I be to all those people I call ‘friend’? Will I share with THEM all The Father has made known to ME? Will I let THEM in on everything I’VE heard from Him?

What kind of friend am I if I don’t share Him?

He is enough. Sharing Him does not diminish Him for me. It is only multiplied.

“…..I will receive many times as much in THIS age, and in the age to come… eternal life."(Luke 18:30TNIV, personalized by me)

Purpose to be a true friend. A friend to Jesus, and to all those that He misses when He looks at His flock. A true friend to all those we so casually refer to as ‘friend’.