Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Worth...

Worth…. I was reminded this morning of the old hair color commercial where the woman says ‘I’m worth it!’…..

You remember the one…she’s bought this certain brand of hair color..(I guess it is more expensive than some of the others…) She’s colored her hair at home and it turned out great. (…which is not great for my job security!)

Then she declares that she’s ‘worth it’.

Just what is she worth? And who decides ? How do you measure that worth? Is it the price of the hair color? Does she decide what she’s worth? Is it measured in simple dollars and cents? (…then why is she not ‘worth’ a trip to the salon? Just wondering…)

It was a good marketing tactic. The slogan caught on and it’s still repeated when we want to justify something.

But are we worth anything? To whom? For what? And what causes us to be valued?

This could be joked about easily …I’m having to refrain from going there myself. Lots of cliché’s come to mind.

But I look seriously at myself and ask. ‘What of myself is of value’


“I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace.” (Acts 20:24)


That He values me is beyond my comprehension.

And value He did…enough to leave heaven, enter the flesh of a human infant, be dismissed as an adult as unimportant, and executed on a trumped up charge in an illegal court.

All of it just to enter humanity to restore what was horribly wrong.

“Great is the LORD and most worthy of praise; his greatness no one can fathom.”
(Ps. 145:3)