Thursday, October 6, 2011

Batons....

Baton… I never could twirl one of those things, hit my elbow every time…

My little sister could twirl it. I’ve watched amazing performances over the years where girls could keep two of them spinning like crazy, throwing them up in the air. I even saw fire on the ends of a twirling baton in one performance.

Runners use batons. They have to ‘pass the baton’ to the next runner. Doesn’t matter how soon you get to the finish line if you failed to catch that handed off baton.

Looking at a scene revealed to us in Acts 6, I see a baton being passed off, and several batons being twirled at the same time.

“During this time, as the disciples were increasing in numbers by leaps and bounds, hard feelings developed among the Greek-speaking believers--"Hellenists"--toward the Hebrew-speaking believers because their widows were being discriminated against in the daily food lines. So the Twelve called a meeting of the disciples. They said, "It wouldn't be right for us to abandon our responsibilities for preaching and teaching the Word of God to help with the care of the poor. So, friends, choose seven men from among you whom everyone trusts, men full of the Holy Spirit and good sense, and we'll assign them this task. Meanwhile, we'll stick to our assigned tasks of prayer and speaking God's Word." The congregation thought this was a great idea. They went ahead and chose…..” (Acts 6:1-5 The Message)

I’m a pretty good multi-tasker. (…less so the older I get !! ) These Twelve apostles were definitely multi-tasking.

Testifying about the risen Jesus, performing signs and miracles to validate the power of the Holy Spirit, praying and ministering the Word of God, explaining the scripture and revealing the fulfilled prophecy within them…..and meeting physical needs of women who had no husband. Social work…

Seems they weren’t much different then us. How often I have complained to the minister that somebody wasn’t being cared for just right. Or complained about him because he didn’t do what I thought he should..

How many times have I complained that the preacher didn’t visit, the church didn’t bring food or send flowers… Why is it we think that is always somebody else’s job? Why is it we think we are off the hook because there is somebody on a payroll to do all that? Maybe it’s just me that’s guilty of that….

In this situation of the early church, there were some cultural things we just can’t appreciate. I am a woman, and though I’ve never been a widow, I don’t fear being without resources to feed and care for myself.

In this situation of the early church, the leading characters were doing the grunt work along with being on stage and in all the speaking engagements. Am I as willing as they to not just do the works that I have a passion for, but also be willing to roll up my sleeves and do the behind the scenes stuff? The dirty work? The stuff that’s not fun?

In this situation of the early church, when the baton was held out to be passed on, there were those willing to grab it and run with it. Am I as willing to accept a baton held out to me? Do I accept that responsibility without ill-will? Do I do everything I can to free others to move on to greater responsibility?

I admit it, it is sometimes hard for me to let go of that baton, hard to pass off to somebody else. After all, they might not do it ‘right’….they might do it differently than I do !! Gasp !!

I confess it, I often hesitate to accept a baton handed out to me. “Well, that’s just not my gift….”

Nonsense… I doubt Jesus thinks much of that excuse. Especially when there is a need and I’m an able body.

And I confess, I’m guilty….guilty of thinking the money I put in that plate on Sunday pays somebody to do stuff I could participate in myself. I have plenty excuses. I work. I don’t have time. I’m just not good at that. I don’t know those people. Those people don’t know me. I have dozens…

Course….I might be the only one.

But I doubt it.